Sunday, April 1, 2012

God's Sovereign Providence And Fallen Tree Limbs

 Typically, I reserve my photography for my photoblog Seeing Through a New Lens; however, today I uploaded these photographs in my pastor's blog to teach a valuable theological lesson.

The last storm partially broke a large tree limb from 25 feet atop the propane tank at the rear of the parsonage. The connection of the limb to the tree held the heavy limb by threads of wood. Eventually, the limb would fall and the entirety of the weight of the limb might hit the propane tank. This spelled disaster in my mind.

So, I took a handsaw out to cut some of the smaller branches from the limb close to the ground. The first branch to cut, of course, is the branch atop the propane tank. I paid little attention to where I was standing. Also, I gave little thought to what might happen when I cut the branch from the limb.

I sawed through the branch and heard a thunderous snap from above me. A branch scratched my ribs and my left wrist as the massive limb and its branches crashed to the ground all around me. 


After the ordeal, I gathered myself and noticed that I stood in an island of grass completely surrounded by a large tree limb. I had survived without serious injury. Some might say that I was lucky. Perhaps others would even spiritualize that thought and call it a miracle or providence.

Yet God's sovereignty over every aspect of His creation in His providence is not to be held as a replacement word for "luck." We must not simply give credit to God for good fortune when events go our way. God controls each rain drop. God sustains even sparrows in the deepest woods which no human eye will ever gaze upon. God's providence is not limited to certain events or people. God's providence is His continued involvement with all of His creation.

The answer to question 11 in the Westminster Shorter Catechism states, "God’s works of providence are, his most holy, wise, and powerful preserving and governing all his creatures, and all their actions." God has control over all His creation, including falling tree limbs and my position on the ground.

God's protection was granted to me by grace. I prayed for His protection before I began the work. I did not pray in a cliche manner of protection, but with full understanding by God's Word that He is in control of all things. This is a good work of God. I would even suggest this is extraordinary that God protected me. Yet, let this event serve to us a reminder: God's providence over all things is not simply in this event or that action, but in all things to fulfill His purposes. I cannot plan out my day or a trip with full guarantee that I will succeed with my life (James 4:13-16). I pray to God knowing that each event throughout history is in His hands leading to fulfill His divine purposes. I say, "if the Lord wills, I will survive the day." Our faith unlocks understanding the truth that God provides and sustains all things, even the sparrows, directing each step throughout history to fulfill His purposes. Such a worldview is important. Your life is a vapor, but the Lord's sovereign providence in all things for His glory directs all things for His good pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment