Monday, March 19, 2012

What Does God Know?

Ask this question, "What does God know?", in Sunday School and you will receive a Sunday School answer: everything. Have you given much thought to what is included in the "everything" God knows? David writes in the 139th Psalm:

O LORD, you have searched me and known me!
You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
   you discern my thoughts from afar.

You search out my path and my lying down
   and are acquainted with all my ways.

Even before a word is on my tongue,
   behold, O LORD, you know it altogether.

You hem me in, behind and before,
   and lay your hand upon me.

Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
   it is high; I cannot attain it.    

Where shall I go from your Spirit?
   Or where shall I flee from your presence?


God is closer to you than any other possible relationship. There are thoughts and activities you can hide even from your closest friend or your spouse! God knows every thought, every motive, and every action we take. We cannot attain such incredible knowledge, it is "too wonderful for me." God sees our wickedness. God sees how ugly we think of others, our true motives for doing any given task, and sinful deeds we commit in the dark.

There is good news. Grace is given by God that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:6-11). Although God knows everything you say, think, or do, even though God knows the massive amount of sin and your inability to atone for such wickedness, God's grace is that He sent His Son to make our payment and give us perfect righteousness instead.

A question for you, dear reader: do you hunger and thirst for righteousness? We hear our Savior preach how "blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied" (Matthew 5:6). Do you truly desire all sin and evil to make a hurried exit from your thoughts and your feelings? Then, pray with David at the end of this Psalm:

Search me, O God, and know my heart!
   Try me and know my thoughts!

And see if there be any grievous way in me,
   and lead me in the way everlasting! 


This is a dangerous prayer! Oh, the trembling our flesh might experience if such prayer is answered! This is not a prayer for God to search you for something He is unaware of, for God knows everything. Beloved, this is a prayer for God to search you and find sin in places you have tried to hide it. This is a prayer for God to reveal sin you have given no thought to. This is a prayer to publish what you have tried to hide in private, either by will or by ignorance.

God's all-knowing attribute provides terror, not comfort, to those trying to make it on their own. Perhaps the very thought of an all-powerful deity gives nothing but dread and lament to some. Following Jesus from such a distance as to attend church services and scantily read their Bible, some might say, makes up for what is said in secret and done in nobody's presence. Be warned, God is an all-knowing God. Without the merit of Christ which produces the fruits of faithfulness, you stand in judgment on your own goodness. God sees all thoughts, all actions, and all words.

If the desire for your heart is being led in the way everlasting, the way of Christ-likeness, then your heart rejoices in God's examination and granting repentance. Confess your guilt and God is faithful to forgive you (I John 1:9). This is not a one-time confession, but a life of continual confession and utter dependence upon our sovereign, all-knowing God. Hiding sin or trading sins for other sins which are hidden more easily will not disguise your guilt before our all-knowing God. Acknowledge your guilt, pray for God to make public what sins are in private, and repent by the power of God.

2 comments:

  1. More than anything God knows our heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Elizabeth. God knows our heart, and He daily conforms the hearts of believers to the image of Christ.

    ReplyDelete